Before opening my private practice, I worked in Hospital Kuala Lumpur and several educational organisations. My work in clinical psychology is extensively focused on neurodevelopmental disorders such as intellectual disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder and specific learning disorders (e.g. dyslexia).
My clinical work with children and adolescents also involves treating them with depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, trauma- and stress or -related disorders, oppositional defiant and conduct disorders, obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, eating disorders, gender identity disorder, bereavement, and other psychological problems.
Due to the demands from my clients, my clinical work has extended to parents and young adults population. My therapy with children and adolescents often involves parent work.
My work in learning disorders is largely involved intervention for children with dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. My team and I have developed our own dyslexia program and group social skills training program for children with poor social skills.
I have been invited as a guest speaker in television and radio talk shows about various psychology issues especially related to children and adolescents. My expert views have been published in local newspapers, magazines and the internet.
I am doing my PhD now and is working on to publish my research and clinical cases that I had worked on in academic journals.
- Certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills, Play Therapy International (UK) (on-going)
- Certificate in Sandtray Therapy, under training by a certified Texas board therapist, USA
- Certificate in Expressive Art Therapy, under training by a certified Texas board therapist, USA
- Certificate in Neuro-Dramatic Play , Institute of Drama Therapy, UK (on-going)
- Certificate in Orton Gillingham (English), Singapore
- Certificate in Orton Gillingham (Mathematics), Singapore
- Member of the Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology (MSCP), Assistant Treasurer Year 2013-2014
- Member of the Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology (MSCP), Treasurer Year 2011-2012
- Member of the Malaysian Psychology Association (PSIMA)
- Associate member of the Malaysian Psychiatric Association (MPA)
- Associate member of the Malaysian Paediatric Association (MPA)
- Member of Malaysian Mental Health Association (MMHA)
- Member Penang Association of Counselling and Psychology (PACP)
My passion in pursuing my career as a psychologist comes from my late mother. I find psychology interesting when my mother and I talked about it during my secondary school year. She also supported me to pursue my degree in psychology despite the stigma people have toward the career as a psychologist at that time.
Having the privilege to join the Yu-Shu (China) post-earthquake psychological relief team led by Dr Ting, training in the psychiatric department in hospital setting whereby I worked with patients from diverse racial and socio-economic background, and working with other psychologists/therapists for patient's case management gave me inspiration to become a clinician. I also volunteered and helped out at the centre for children with learning difficulty and their parents. I see clients of all ages although I enjoy working with children and their parents.
- Member, Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology
- Member, Penang Association of Counseling and Psychology